As we get closer to the release of our first product, the #AthenaJacket, I want to take a look back at the origins of the project. We began R&D for the first prototype in May of 2015 and presented our findings at the event DX-5: Design is Responsible on July 29th, 2015. In some ways it’s crazy that it has taken a year and a half to get to this point, but the amount of institutional knowledge that we’ve built over that time is incredible. From working with fabric suppliers from around the world, to sourcing trim and hardware, and especially our close collaboration with master pattern makers to refine fit and style. At this point I think we’ve averaged about one prototype per month (I have an entire wardrobe in my apartment with nothing but our experiments.)
In this video from DX-5, I discuss the origins of the Athena Project and some of the design tools we used along the way including: observation, qualitative and quantitative research, and prototyping.
And here are the slides from my presentation summarizing some of our research: